Relationships for Outcomes Initiative
Search Institute has partnered with five organizations to co-create and test innovative ways to strengthen the developmental relationships that young people in marginalized communities experience in their schools, programs, and families. We are calling this the Relationships for Outcomes Initiative.
- Show how a focus on building developmental relationships is a critical lever for improving a wide range of youth outcomes;
- Create strategies and tools that equip organizations to be more intentional and inclusive in their relationship-building efforts; and,
- Show how these relationships can be transformative in the lives of young people and their families.
FIVE ACTION-LEARNING PARTNERS
Search Institute is working with five action-learning partners with a broad network of programs across the United States. Each has chosen a single local program that will serve as a “design site” for this initiative. The five partners are:
- Camp Fire (Kansas City, Missouri) and Camp Fire Columbia in Portland, Oregon.
- City Year (Boston, Massachusetts) and City Year Columbus, Ohio.
- Communities in Schools of San Antonio, Texas, and its program in South San High School.
- Generation Citizen (Boston, Massachusetts) and its school-based program in Boston.
- National Center for Families Learning (Louisville, Kentucky) and its partner organization, Toberman Neighborhood Center, San Pedro, California.
Each partner will focus on strengthening particular relationships in young people’s lives, while also learning from each other to strengthen a wide range of relationships. Overall, the initiative will expand understanding and provide tools to strengthen:
- Relationships in schools
- Relationships in out-of-school-time programs
- Peer relationships
- Family relationships
- Mentoring relationships
Initially, ROI will focus on understanding how relationships shape young people’s and families’ experiences in their programs and where there may be opportunities to strengthen those relationships. Then Search Institute will work with each partner to design, prototype, and test tools and strategies aimed at strengthening relationships. Tools and strategies that are found to be most valuable will be made available more broadly.
Core support for ROI is provided by the Einhorn Family Charitable Trust. The Trust supports the ROI action-learning partnerships focused on K-12 education, out-of-school-time programs, mentoring programs, and peer programs. The ROI action-learning partnership focused on family engagement is supported by the Altria Group.