Evaluate your program quality and integrate youth perspectives into your work.
This survey measures the degree to which young people in school- or community-based out-of-school time programs (OST) experience program features and opportunities that define a high-quality program. A high-quality OST program can protect young people from risk while promoting resilience and thriving.
This survey looks at the following factors that affect program quality:
- physical and psychological safety
- appropriate structure
- developmental relationships
- opportunities to belong
- positive social norms
- support of efficacy and mattering
- opportunities for skill building
- integration of family, school, and community efforts
- program dosage (how often youth are attending your programs)
The Youth and Program Strengths (YAPS) survey also includes the full Developmental Assets Profile (DAP), so it gathers reliable data on:
- youth viewpoints on the asset-rich nature of their school, program, peers, communities, families, and themselves
- internal Developmental Asset categories
- external Developmental Asset categories
The YAPS survey is suitable for youth in grades 6 through 12, and can be used for pre- and post-survey evaluation. Rather than relying on staff-written surveys, this reliable and valid instrument can help organizations “make the case” with funders. In addition, each program will receive a thorough report that offers unique and complementary information on its youth, emphasizing the strengths and supports they have in their everyday lives.
- Measures key features of high-quality youth programs.
- Measures social-emotional skills and noncognitive factors.
- Usable as a pre- and post-assessment to measure change over time and program impact.
- Provides an aggregated report and breakdowns by gender, grade, race/ethnicity, and program dosage.
Each survey package always includes:
- access to the online survey
- thorough user guide for planning your survey administration
- in-depth site reports to guide your data utilization
- survey administration support
- sub-reports based on a specific cohort of youth, determined by you
- raw data at the individualized level
- technical assistance, consulting, workshops, or keynotes
- paper surveys
For more information on the Youth and Program Strengths survey, please click on one of the links below:
- Download the YAPS User Guide
Download a General Overview of the YAPS Survey
Download a Sample Survey
Download a Sample Report
Download Psychometric Information